Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Announcements > Community News and Announcements

Old
DrJim

Default 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Can't specifically say anything re Alice 2.2 Beta (other than it has never worked well for me) - but screen capture (which is the video output approach 2.2 Beta uses) and 3D graphics programs are both notorious memory hogs - for the code itself, for buffer space for the code and for the output data. That's a basic reason most of the work is handed off to hardware accelerators and graphics engines, rather than being done in software.

Old
hdixon

Default 09-02-2008, 05:26 PM

accepted (but 70+MB??). Anyhow, I run a computer lab at a highschool and last year we we running 2.0 on the older apple imacs (800mhz, 256MB ram). Although we encountered the occasional bug we did not have any significant speed/response issues at all. I've since got a classroom full of the Apple G4 iBooks with 1.33Mhz cpu, 512MB ram. ALice 2.2 just dies on them. The whole laptop comes to a crawl. No crashes just everything takes 60-90 seconds between clicks. The systems are 10.4.11 with all updates except for the very last java update but as I understand it the Alice app is usually built for a specific java installation (I think). I have pretty much the same personal laptop (except 1GB ram and larger screen) and I dont seem to have the same problems as far aas I can tell.

Going back to ALice 2.0 seems to clear up the issues - still checking it out..

Old
DrJim

Default 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Interesting that the 1G machine seems to run OK.

Just guessing based on other experience - but I suspect the problem is that the smaller RAM is not big enough to hold the amount of frames generated during video capture without splitting the images somehow. That would lead to lots of paging to virtual memory - which in turn aggrivates the Java memory leak problem - which leads to even more paging, etc., etc.

Note that one change in 2.2 on Windows machines was to move away from the earlier graphics approach. That might be the reason that the program size increased so much. (I agree - 70+ M seems like a lot.)

Old
hdixon

Default 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Sat down with the 2.2 and worked for 10-15 minutes on my 1Gb and it eventually began exhibiting the same behavior so it must be the memory leak issues, just delayed.

Old
Cheshire

Default 09-04-2008, 11:44 PM

Is the 2.2 beta download still available? It won't open for me. I would like to try out the new models which incorporate walking movements.

Old
DrJim

Default 09-05-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Is the 2.2 beta download still available? It won't open for me.
Just tried to download it myself and got a message the site wasn't available. Might be worth a try again in a week or two - the CMU site sometimes has trouble between terms.

The fact that even hdixon's 1 G machine slowed down after a bit is interesting. I'll have to put Alice up on my machine with large memory and try it. Since that machine is running Vista and there have been a lot of problems (mostly minor) reported with that, it's something I've been avoiding.

Source code for 2.2?
Old
bingster

Default Source code for 2.2? - 09-16-2008, 06:32 PM

Anything further about source code for Alice 2.2?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post

Regarding the source code, I'll try and get it up. Unfortunately, our programmer Madeleine who added the new features to Alice 2.2, is away this summer on an internship, so it might take a little time before I can get a hold of it.

Though Alice 2.2 works fine,
Old
hjussila

Default Though Alice 2.2 works fine, - 04-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Though Alice 2.2 works fine, perhaps it is time for some of you to try out Alice 3.0 Beta. It has various features not in Alice 2.2 and overall, boast a better management system. It is far easier to use, so I would recommend you guys switch to it.

Last edited by x2495iiii; 04-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Old
Jones989

Default 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjussila View Post
Though Alice 2.2 works fine, perhaps it is time for some of you to try out Alice 3.0 Beta. It has various features not in Alice 2.2 and overall, boast a better management system. It is far easier to use, so I would recommend you guys switch to it.
hjussila,

If you look at the date of the last post about the source code, the date states that it was posted back in 2008.

Cheers,

Jones989

-Me Goes to School, so maybe not on 24/7 xD-

IMA HARDCORE GINJA!

Post Goal

_X_ 0 Post (Junior Member)

_X_ 10 Post

_X_ 15 Post (Member)

_X_ 50 Post (Senior Member)

__ 100 Post

__ 200 Post

__ 400 Post (YEAH!!!!!)