Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Share Worlds

Halo Release - debussybunny563
Old
debussybunny563

Lightbulb Halo Release - debussybunny563 - 07-28-2011, 04:38 AM

lol I've been putting this off for a long time. If you've read my I've been dead thread, then you know that I haven't done any Alice-related stuff recently, so I haven't done any work on this for a while.

The "engine" is practically finished (controls), but the "campaign" isn't (plot, objectives, etc.). There's also no sound; for some people sound in Alice gives an error.

I'd like to know how bad the framerate is on your computers, since I'm using a laptop, and a non-gaming one at that. Hopefully it runs smoother on your computers than it does mine.

Controls are listed in the comments that you'll find in the game. Look for the green text; it shows up as soon as you open the world.
IMPORTANT: Once you click the dot in the center of the screen, your mouse will be confined so that it doesn't go off the window. If you need your mouse "un-stuck," press 1. Also note that a larger resolution works best for gameplay. To change the resolution of the window, go to Edit > Preferences > Rendering.

Feedback is welcome. =)
Reports on the amount of lag would help too. Not much I can do to fix it though. Alice has its limitations. =\

From what Dennis Cosgrove told me, Alice 3.0 will greatly surpass 2.2. A finished version of 3.0 won't be ready for release until next year, unfortunately.

Please don't plagiarize anything. If you want to use something in here, ask me first.

I may or may not continue work on this game. On my priority list, Alice is not at the very top.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Halo_Release.a2w (11.15 MB, 96 views)

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Awesome
Old
arty-fishL

Thumbs up Awesome - 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM

This is awesome. Please don't give this up, I've been waiting for this for a very long time. The lag can be fixed, you want it fixed - or very much reduced, ask me (I cant promise I will be fast, but I will get the job done).

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
Nighthawk0973

Default 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM

You had me exited for a moment there. HUD and radar are genius. Cinimatics are great. Mouse locking in the center looks bad but at least it still works.

However the games frame rate is terrible, I'm running on a Windows XP Professional, and I ran jediactions Halo in Alice, better than I ran this game. It definately had some potential but... you just didn't execute it properly. The games problem is that because the frame rate is so bad I get clobbered by the elites before I can get my mouse pointed in the right direction and shoot. Please fix these errors, this game really does have potential.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Wow. I've waited a long time for this. This is coming along great. Wow, I never thought, some one would do the dying animation. The game was terribly laggy though. I couldn't shoot and I died in 3 hits. Really cool though!

I have one quesiton. You did the radar. Was that X's system, or your own?

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Last edited by jediaction; 07-29-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old
debussybunny563

Default 07-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty-fishL View Post
This is awesome. Please don't give this up, I've been waiting for this for a very long time. The lag can be fixed, you want it fixed - or very much reduced, ask me (I cant promise I will be fast, but I will get the job done).
I'd be very grateful if you could find a way to increase the frame rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk0973 View Post
You had me exited for a moment there. HUD and radar are genius. Cinimatics are great. Mouse locking in the center looks bad but at least it still works.

However the games frame rate is terrible, I'm running on a Windows XP Professional, and I ran jediactions Halo in Alice, better than I ran this game. It definately had some potential but... you just didn't execute it properly. The games problem is that because the frame rate is so bad I get clobbered by the elites before I can get my mouse pointed in the right direction and shoot. Please fix these errors, this game really does have potential.
Thanks for the feedback. What I don't really understand is how the lag became so great. I remember that before my "break" the fps lag wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. =\

As for the mouse locking, I don't know any Jython or whatever that can make the mouse disappear. Perhaps arty does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Wow. I've waited a long time for this. This is coming along great. Wow, I never thought, some one would do the dying animation. The game was terribly laggy though. I couldn't shoot and I died in 3 hits. Really cool though!

I have one quesiton. You did the radar. Was that X's system, or your own?
My own system; same as the one in my VERY VERY old FPS lol. If you look at the code, it's actually a pretty logical system.

st00pid lag!!! I think it's coming from the AI, which is a shame because I spent a lot of time on it, and IMO it's a great AI.

Last edited by debussybunny563; 12-21-2012 at 12:00 AM.

|Link to weapons collection: http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=7368 |

I have been dead for quite some time now; not much hope for resurrection.

Old
arty-fishL

Arrow 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debussybunny563 View Post
OK, well I will give it a shot, so don't work on it right now because I am. I've already done a lot of lag fixing for a certain other person in a similar situation, so now I know what to look for.

Quote:
As for the mouse locking, I don't know any Jython or whatever that can make the mouse disappear. Perhaps arty does...
Yes I do, I can add it in if you want. I can also add a custom cursor for when the mouse is showing (ie - during calibration) if you want, just for aesthetics.

I can also provide a script which automatically gets the window size and one that positions the mouse in the centre of the window, which altogether avoids calibration, but I don't know if that's a step too far. Another one I can provide is one that disables the speed bar at the top, because sometimes you can use that to cheat or mess up the game. If you want any of them added just ask.

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Last edited by arty-fishL; 07-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Old
Nighthawk0973

Default 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM

I can create a cursor file for you. Just give me a file type (I don't care what, .bmp, .jpg, .png, .gif, I'll even take .ico ) and I can convert it to a .ani file. (animated cursor right?)

Speaking of the AI, I noticed it was very adept. I managed to kill 1 of the elites but the other killed me after that. It was all very frustrating. Also you must've cancelled the controls at some point because when the screen turned all black for a long time, than my mouse wouldn't unlock and I had to use Alt+F4 to close Alice all together.

You should definately make it so that the enemies are introduced at a slower pace, to make it easier at the start. That way I can see the other aspects of the game more clearly and get away from the lag too.

Last edited by Nighthawk0973; 07-30-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. What I don't really understand is how the lag became so great. I remember that before my "break" the fps lag wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. =\

My own system; same as the one in my VERY VERY old FPS lol. If you look at the code, it's actually a pretty logical system.

st00pid lag!!! I think it's coming from the AI, which is a shame because I spent a lot of time on it, and IMO it's a great AI.
Your right, the AI is amazing. I saw them and they looked very real. I am so impressed with your work. We just have to make Halo 3 Together with Arty. He fixes lag, you create AI, and you and me design the Game! WOuldn't that be awesome, bringing HALO 3!!

Old
arty-fishL

Default 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk0973 View Post
I can create a cursor file for you. Just give me a file type (I don't care what, .bmp, .jpg, .png, .gif, I'll even take .ico ) and I can convert it to a .ani file. (animated cursor right?)
That's very kind of you, but Java just requires an image, so I import the cursor images as textures in Alice and then I can use scripting to grab the images from the textures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
Your right, the AI is amazing. I saw them and they looked very real. I am so impressed with your work. We just have to make Halo 3 Together with Arty. He fixes lag, you create AI, and you and me design the Game! WOuldn't that be awesome, bringing HALO 3!!
Hold on now! There are still two Halos to be finished, these (good) ideas come later.

Old
jediaction

Default 07-30-2011, 01:59 PM

2? MVM, got it. Yah, thats a future project.

Tags
debussybunny, debussybunny563, fps, halo, shooter