Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Assignment 2 - Mummy in a coffin
Old
lucyrn99

Default Assignment 2 - Mummy in a coffin - 09-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I chose assignment PP 1.3 where you make the mummy sit up out of the coffin.
My first thought was to set the mood with different objects.
I added some apple trees in the background, and a fence in front of the apple trees.
In front of the fence was the mummy and coffin, a lizard, a ghost, a skeleton, 2 gravestones, a zombie and a wolf.
I also added a moon (see challenges I encountered, below).
I animated the mummy to lay down in the coffin, then his torso sits up and faces the ghost.
I animated the ghost to be a little scared by the mummy; the ghost thinks 'yikes!' as the mummy sits up.

Challenges I encountered:
- I wanted the moon to be hanging in the sky from the beginning of the animation. When I dragged the 'moon' object into the scene, it would only let me place the moon on the ground!
I didn't know how to make it appear in the sky, so at the beginning of the animation, I made the moon move up into the sky and rotate a few times.

- I wanted to make the moon rotate throughout the entire animation.
My goal was to have the moon rotate slowly in the sky, while other things were happening in the foreground. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I couldn't figure out how to make that happen.

- I wanted the mummy to be laying down in his coffin at the start of the animation. When I dragged the 'mummy' object into the scene, he was already standing up. I compromised by making him lay down in the coffin, then have his upper torso sit up and face the ghost. This took a while to get the correct angles, but I'm happy with the end result.

Old
lucyrn99

Default 09-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Reading further in the book and watching some Alice youtube videos, I found the answers to some of my challenges for this assignment:

- To make the moon hang in the sky from the beginning of the animation, all I had to do was elevate it, using the 'Move Objects Up and Down With The Mouse' control in the 'Move Objects Freely Section'.

- To make the moon rotate continuously in the sky while the mummy animation is happening, I needed to create an Event for 'While the world is running'.

- Still haven't figured out how to get the mummy to be laying down in the coffin at the start of the animation. I thought maybe this can be done with a 'When the World Starts' event, but then I read somewhere that only one OR the other World Event can be used, so... hmm, not sure how I could have achieved both the moon spinning and the mummy lying in the coffin.