Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

How to view the final html file on "Internet Explorer"
Old
niranjan03

Default How to view the final html file on "Internet Explorer" - 01-28-2008, 12:58 AM

Hi friends,

I have a problem viewing the final exported html file created using alice 2.0.
I am unable to view the 3d world although I have installed all three latest Java components (version1.6.0_03) from "sun microsystems" as per requirement.
The page only shows "author name" and blank white window of size 320x240 with greyed out buttons "Pause" "Resume" "Restart" and "Stop" at the top.

Please do help me to sort out this problem. Thanks in advance.
Any way I found "Alice" quite interesting to experiment with.

Regards,
Niranjan

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjan03 View Post
Hi friends,

I have a problem viewing the final exported html file created using alice 2.0.
I am unable to view the 3d world although I have installed all three latest Java components (version1.6.0_03) from "sun microsystems" as per requirement.
The page only shows "author name" and blank white window of size 320x240 with greyed out buttons "Pause" "Resume" "Restart" and "Stop" at the top.

Please do help me to sort out this problem. Thanks in advance.
Any way I found "Alice" quite interesting to experiment with.

Regards,
Niranjan
Unfortunately, applets created by Alice 2.0 usually don't work.

Go to Google and search for the following for lots more information.

applet site:www.alice.org dickbaldwin

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
niranjan03

Default Reply - 01-29-2008, 05:16 AM

Mr.Baldwin,

I am basically a 3d modeller (3dsmax) and absolutely blank about programing, java applets and all that stuff.
As stated earlier we have already googled out latest "Java" components required for Alice2.0 and downloaded it but with no results!!
Can u please specify about exactly what should I search on google?
Rather I request U to guide me about the problem?
I really want to venture in the "interactive world of 3D".
Please do help me.

Regards,

Niranjan

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 01-29-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjan03 View Post
Mr.Baldwin,
I am ... absolutely blank about programing, java applets and all that stuff.
... Rather I request U to guide me about the problem? I really want to venture in the "interactive world of 3D"
Unfortunately, Java expertise is of little or no help in solving this problem. If you select "Export As A Web Page" on the Alice 2.0 File menu, Alice will create a Java applet. However, my experience is that, for a variety of reasons, the applet probably won't execute successfully in either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Therefore, my recommendation is that you forget about this option and look to some other mechanism to satisfy your desire to venture into the interactive world of 3D.

If what you want to do is to simply demonstrate your Alice world, you can use a free screen capture program named BSR to create a video. That is how I demonstrate my Alice worlds to my students. Of course, the video is not interactive.

If you want others to be able to "play" your world in an interactive manner, the only way that I know to do that is to have them install Alice on their computer and to deliver the zzz.a2w file to them so they can load and execute the world. If someone else on the forum knows of a better way, I would certainly like to hear about it.

By the way, even if the applet approach did work as advertised, very few computers would have the proper Java software installed to be able to execute the applets. As I recall, Java3D is required, which is not included in most browser software. Therefore, the market for the applets would be very limited.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm afraid that for these kinds of capabilities, we will simply have to wait for Alice 3.0.

I would like to see CMU remove the following two items from the File menu in Alice 2.0 because they are both worthless:

Export As A Web Page...
Export Movie...

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free programming tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Last edited by DickBaldwin; 01-29-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: correct grammar

Old
niranjan03

Default Reply - 01-30-2008, 02:29 AM

Dear Mr.Baldwin,

Thank U very much for the information!
Looking ahead for sooner release of alice 3.0 to be capable of handling export facilities.
But still I do appreciate the efforts behind building this tool and that too available free.Its incredible!!

Regards,

Niranjan