Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Roller coster
Old
fallen4war

Question Roller coster - 09-30-2009, 08:05 AM

I have the coster in the world but I dont know how to make the cars follow the track. I have tried the vehicle and moving the cars foward but they just go off the screen. I would really apprectiate it if someone helped me figure how to make each of the cars follow the track the whole way.

Thanks, fallen4war

Old
BenMcLean

Cool 09-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen4war View Post
I have the coster in the world but I dont know how to make the cars follow the track. I have tried the vehicle and moving the cars foward but they just go off the screen. I would really apprectiate it if someone helped me figure how to make each of the cars follow the track the whole way.
Thanks, fallen4war
For the life of me, I can't figure why someone would model such a large and complex roller coaster without a ride method. That would be like ... a roller coaster that doesn't make the cars go! Which is exactly what this is!

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM

did you say you did or didnt set the vehicle of the cars to the track or maybe the track to the cars.. i dont know that is what programming is all about trial and error..

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-29-2009, 11:21 PM

Although BenMcLean tends to be overly harsh and critical of Alice, I do agree with him in that a ride method would be expected with a model like that. Unfortunately, you'll have to make it yourself using move forward, turn forward, roll right, etc. methods.

However, if you could break the track down into straight-ish segments, you could also simply move the car to a position in the track, then capture the roller coaster model's pose, then move the car along further and capture it's pose again, and repeating until you have made the car go around the track once, then having the roller coaster set its pose to each captured pose in order, one after the other, quickly (low duration) and smoothly (style = abruptly).

(')>

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM

wow, you are in for some wasted time if you do it x2495iiii's way but unfortunantely it is pretty much the only way you can!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-31-2009, 12:08 AM

I disagree, if you do it properly, you could have it done in 30 minutes, an hour if something (or things) go wrong. Also, it would only be a waste if you got nothing out of it, which isn't true, you'll get a ride method out of it. In fact, if you were to make a ride method and save the roller coaster with the method attached to it, it would be a huge help to many, many Alice users. That's NOT a waste.

(')>

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-31-2009, 10:14 AM

well i guess do, but your saying 30 minutes for an expert like yourself's time haha that would probably take me a while! ( i wasnt meaning to be rude with the "waste of time" part, i should have used a different word choice )

sorrrry, Trevor