Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Another Simon Says Question
Old
bluntedwhat

Default Another Simon Says Question - 12-04-2011, 04:07 PM

So, I'm trying to create a simon says game and I'm stuck a little bit.
I added the four squares and made them all different colors and added the 4 to a object list.
I want to randomly display a pattern of 3 and if they get the correct order than it will increment to 4, then 5. up to ten.
I'm having a bit of trouble actually get the sqaures to randomly display the patterns.
Any sort of guidance would be very much appreciated. thanks

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-04-2011, 05:17 PM

Post your best shot at making the method yourself, and we'll guide you from there.

(')>

hey
Old
bluntedwhat

Default hey - 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM

hey here is where i am so far. i know its early but maybe just need some direction. I created a method that flashes the square and another that calls it with a loop that flashes a number of times. I created a list that includes the 4 squares and a second list that is empty that i want to transfer the order the squares after they flash randomly. am i on the right track? is there a better way of doing this maybe? thanks for any help, i never want anyone to do it for me just some guidance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: a2w simonsays.a2w (179.0 KB, 7 views)

hey
Old
bluntedwhat

Default hey - 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM

i attached the wrong file. The second empty list is now populated with the random flashed squares. how would i mold a method that ask the user for the order flashed? does that make sense my question?
Attached Files
File Type: a2w simonsays.a2w (182.7 KB, 6 views)

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Here's your start.

You have to finish it.

If you need me to explain anything, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w simonsaysFix.a2w (181.3 KB, 32 views)

(')>

hmm
Old
bluntedwhat

Default hmm - 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM

I played around with it for a while now and came up with the attached. It works for the most part but I feel as though I'm missing an easier way to do it. Can the 'guess method' method be constructed with a for all in order or for all together statement? And is there any hints you can give for me to be able to increase the size of the pattern being asked after the user gets the previous correct? Sorry if I'm over stepping my bounds by asking too much but my high school teacher is still new at this program too. Thanks again.

attachment
Old
bluntedwhat

Default attachment - 12-04-2011, 08:47 PM

attachment
Attached Files
File Type: a2w simonsaysFix.a2w (190.8 KB, 11 views)

Re: Simon says...
Old
todd0312

Default Re: Simon says... - 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Hello Blunted What (?):

I'm actually doing a similar project. I opened up your program, but when I clicked the squares in the correct order, I got a message to start over (?). Anyhow...

Regarding your getting the squares to display randomly, it might be easier to assign numbers to your squares, and then make your "newwwwlist" a number list, rather than an object list. If you do this, then you can use the "random number" function so the program can generate the sequence.

Second, you are going to need a way to compare the newwwwlist sequence that the program displays with the sequence in which the player clicks the squares after they have been displayed. If you look at the properties panel when you are playing the game, it will display the squares that have flashed (ex. newwwwlist (green, yellow, yellow)). You need another blank list (let's call it "user_List") that will display the squares they click in the Properties panel - in the same way - as they are clicked. However, I'm not sure how to do this with object lists.

As you have it now in your "world.guessMethod" at the moment, your condition: "If squareClicked (object) = item guessNum (a number) from world.newwwwlist, you are trying to - compare apples to oranges (objects to numbers). And... unless there is some weird work-around, I don't think you can. There might be some way to index the object numbers (0,1,2,3) and compare in that way, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'll get back with you on this tonight when I have a better chance to look at your program.

Kind of hard to explain.

Don't let what I wrote confuse you. I'm pretty noob, but I think I might be able to help. Maybe some other people will contribute to your post - and help us both out.

I'll get back with you soon.

Take care,

Todd

Last edited by todd0312; 12-05-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd0312 View Post
Hello Blunted What (?):

I'm actually doing a similar project. I opened up your program, but when I clicked the squares in the correct order, I got a message to start over (?). Anyhow...

Regarding your getting the squares to display randomly, it might be easier to assign numbers to your squares, and then make your "newwwwlist" a number list, rather than an object list. If you do this, then you can use the "random number" function so the program can generate the sequence.

Second, you are going to need a way to compare the newwwwlist sequence that the program displays with the sequence in which the player clicks the squares after they have been displayed. If you look at the properties panel when you are playing the game, it will display the squares that have flashed (ex. newwwwlist (green, yellow, yellow)). You need another blank list (let's call it "user_List") that will display the squares they click in the Properties panel - in the same way - as they are clicked. However, I'm not sure how to do this with object lists.

As you have it now in your "world.guessMethod" at the moment, your condition: "If squareClicked (object) = item guessNum (a number) from world.newwwwlist, you are trying to - compare apples to oranges (objects to numbers). And... unless there is some weird work-around, I don't think you can. There might be some way to index the object numbers (0,1,2,3) and compare in that way, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'll get back with you on this tonight when I have a better chance to look at your program.

Kind of hard to explain.

Don't let what I wrote confuse you. I'm pretty noob, but I think I might be able to help. Maybe some other people will contribute to your post - and help us both out.

I'll get back with you soon.

Take care,

Todd
He can still get random items from an object list. In fact, it's an option when you drag it over most conditionals, if I recall (the options are first item, last item, ith item, and random item).

Furthermore, he really doesn't need to populate a list with user guesses. Just comparing each sequential guess with the corresponding value in the object list containing the right answers will do fine.

Finally, item x from a list of objects is going to return an object value, not a number value. It simply requires a number value to specify which object in the list should be compared, which is why guessNum is there.

(')>

hey
Old
bluntedwhat

Default hey - 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM

i feel like i am making progress. perhaps you could check out the latest from today? I'm looking for a way to compare one list against another list to check if they're the same. Could you maybe give me a hint if able? thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: a2w 12.05 simons say.a2w (181.4 KB, 40 views)