Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

3D game programming
Old
En929

Default 3D game programming - 01-28-2016, 09:38 AM

Hello, I’m new to this forum and I’m posting in this particular board because this forum seems to be the most active. A little bit about my background is I have been doing 2D game programming for almost 5 years now. I’m still not perfect yet, but have managed to make some games and I do game programming as a serious hobby.

But now, I’m thinking of delving into 3D game development. I have never really done 3D game development and I will essentially be starting from scratch and I am particularly interested in the programming aspect of it because I figure that I can learn about how 3D programming works, etc. I was trying to choose between Alice and Unity 3D.

Alice seems to be a good choice to start with, but I was just wondering what types of games could be made with Alice. I was looking through this site and youtube, and I wanted to see a good long list/collection of games that were made with Alice just to see what is possible with Alice. Hence, I was wondering with Alice, is the sky the limit for making games? Were you pretty much able to make whatever you want using Alice? Has anybody started out with Alice in its visual game programming interface, and then gradually came away from Alice's visual interface, and started using a full blown IDE like Eclipse or Netbeans to make your Java games? I’m sorry if these sound like crazy question. I'm just trying to learn more.

Thanks

Last edited by En929; 01-28-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Old
RavenOfCode

Default 01-28-2016, 05:45 PM

First off welcome, its good to see more hobbyist joining the community,

Personally after using both Alice and Unity, I would tell you Unity is a million times better than Alice, but your probably shouldn't start with it.

Alice lacks many features that Unity has, but it far simpler to learn and use. Alice provides a simple way to learn an oop. While Unity is far more complex and will most likely give you a headache.

Understanding Alice really helped me with learning Unity and still does. Many of the simple versions of things Alice has Unity has too just more complex versions of those things.

Stuff + Other Stuff + Different Other Stuff = Things :)

My best Alice game:

Clash of the Cubes (an arena fighting game):
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=game