Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Compare Position
Old
XenElement

Default Compare Position - 12-24-2011, 12:01 PM

This may be a stupid question, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the answer to it. How do I compare position using an if statement? I'm creating a false 2D game, and I need to know when the hero has gone off the camera's view, of out of the bounds of the stage. I know what the values are for the edges of the camera, but I can't seem to figure out how to compare the hero's position to those single values using an if statement.

My real objective is to teleport the hero to the other side if he goes off the screen, just like asteroids, so if anyone has a better method of doing that, please let me know.

Old
dakota95

Default 12-24-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenElement View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the answer to it. How do I compare position using an if statement? I'm creating a false 2D game, and I need to know when the hero has gone off the camera's view, of out of the bounds of the stage. I know what the values are for the edges of the camera, but I can't seem to figure out how to compare the hero's position to those single values using an if statement.

My real objective is to teleport the hero to the other side if he goes off the screen, just like asteroids, so if anyone has a better method of doing that, please let me know.
what you can do is place two objects, one at each end of the screen, and say if guy is within x meters of object 1, move to object two.

<Insert_Signature_Here>

Old
TauTrumpsPi

Default 12-24-2011, 05:43 PM

It would work better with "too the left/right of" so that you play the method when the guy passes it, instead of is on it, so you don't need to position it perfectly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plenty of common sense. I just choose to ignore it.
-Calvin and Hobbes

Wondering about my Avatar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Wondering about my username?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7vhMMXagQ

Old
waqar

Default 12-26-2011, 09:48 AM

well if i want to do that thing i would place a variable for camera and calculate the number of increments by incrementing that variable by 1 with every 1 meter of camera move then place an if else statement and put if Camera Movement(Variable)== x do the teleport method