Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Fading to black between scene transitions
Old
max

Default Fading to black between scene transitions - 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Hello all, I'm using Alice 2.0 and would like to fade the screen black as the camera moves from one part of the world to another part for a different scene. I tried playing around with the opacity and color setting of the lighting and camera but so far haven't found anything that works. I also tried to search the forums and came up with this thread, however I don't see anything specifically about fading the screen to black in Alice 2.0 in it.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing just that?

Thanks in advance.

Fade to Black
Old
DrJim

Default Fade to Black - 04-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Your most basic controls - assuming you haven’t placed your own lights - are the world "ambientLightBrightness" and the light "brightness" properties. If you set both of these to zero, your world will go black (see example) except for the sky. For a black sky, you also have to change the world "atmosphereColor".

There are other options, of course - I'd keep searching, possibly using Google as Dick Baldwin usually suggests. For more complex fades, you can move billboards in front of the camera and adjust transparency, for example. By and large, however, this level of complexity is better done (IMO) in a separate video editor if that is an option.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Gabe fades.a2w (215.9 KB, 133 views)

Old
max

Default 04-24-2008, 01:16 PM

Thanks Dr.Jim, that worked out fine except that I could never get the "atmosphereColor" back to it's original color. So I just made it always light grey (except for when I'm "fading" between scenes obviously) and it looks fine. And yes, I did make it pretty complex, but I'm doing it for school so I have to use Alice 2.0 no matter what.

If any of you are interested, I'll look into uploading my world as an example in a couple of days. I want to make sure that posting the song I used to internet forums is OK with the artist first.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by max; 04-24-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Old
DrJim

Default 04-24-2008, 09:03 PM

Glad it worked. I also have had the color match problem - an "eyedropper" to do color matching would be a nice addition to Alice.

Old
groucho

Default 04-29-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
except that I could never get the "atmosphereColor" back to it's original color.
You can save the atmosphereColor in a variable of type "color" and restore the property atmosphereColor from there.

Also, the RGB-values of the original atmosphereColor are (74, 125, 204). You can thus simply reset the atmosphereColor to these values using the RGB-tool that pops up when you use the set command for the atmosphereColor.