Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Alice 2.2 keeps crashing
Old
shms alice

Unhappy Alice 2.2 keeps crashing - 10-28-2009, 11:20 AM

I have new computers Windows xp in my room. Some of my students projects are crashing. They have enough space, but when they begin to save, Alice crashes. Anyone know why? Getting extremely frustrated!!!!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-28-2009, 01:55 PM

A few questions:

-How many worlds have been crashing?
-Have you looked at the worlds to determine if the students were using code which generates a throwable? (like referencing item_from_list outside of a for all in order/together)
-Have you checked for buggy models (the magician is buggy, the ninja is a little buggy when using poses, plato is like the ninja, etc.)?
-What version of Alice 2.2 are you using (if you're using the one which doesn't support opacity changes, that could be the problem)?

(')>

some more help, please
Old
shms alice

Red face some more help, please - 10-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Not all of the worlds have been crashing. Not sure what you mean by what version am I using. Last year I used the Beta 2.2 version. This year I am using the windows 2.2. Yes, I am seeing errors about throwables. What now??? Thanks so much for getting back to me.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 10-31-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Not all of the worlds have been crashing.
That means the problem likely isn't the software or hardware, which points more to user error (though software can be to blame for occasional, sporadic crashes, however you said many worlds were crashing regularly).

Quote:
This year I am using the windows 2.2
Have you tried using 2.0 on the computers that have a habit of crashing?

Quote:
Yes, I am seeing errors about throwables.
This points, again, to user error. Some worlds, if coded improperly, can confuse Alice and cause it to crash or freeze (mine has a habit of becoming trapped in an endless loop of "An unknown error has occurred" messages, forcing me to use task manager against it, however, this only happens if I do careless things like attempting to delete a variable which is referenced several times, or asking Alice to refer to a null variable and have it perform an action based on that variable). Check the worlds for these errors, correct them, and re-try them. If you need help debugging them, post them to this thread and I'll pitch in.

Quote:
What now???
Four things you can do to help:
1) Try Alice 2.0 or re-download Alice 2.2 to test and see if the software is to blame
2) Review and debug the worlds to test and see if improper coding is to blame
3) Check the security settings of your computers to see if they're directly interfering with Alice
4) Check to see if all computers are performing properly period, or if background applications are causing Alice to crash (Alice has a habit of crashing more frequently on slow computers if an Internet Browser is open)

Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me.
No problem, I'm glad to help. If there's anything else you need help with, just ask.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 10-31-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Old
xxledzeppelin2x3

Default 10-31-2009, 08:14 PM

uninstall and reinstall the program because there may have been some updates.