Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Naturally walking characters? (Assignment # 4)
Old
JRYoung

Unhappy Naturally walking characters? (Assignment # 4) - 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM

I'm still quite new to alice. I've been trying to figure out at natural walking pattern for characters where while they are moving nothing moves away from their body. The characters that i created for an assignment that i have for a programming class (especially the father), whenever he walks his legs move away and either above or below his body. I thought i could combat that by everytime he takes a "step" moving his leg back up, but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions for editing my natural walking pattern?

I have attached the assignment to the thread.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Assign4-JY.a2w (2.97 MB, 7 views)

Look at the Mana object
Old
Ygzaw

Default Look at the Mana object - 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM

You can get a good idea by looking at the methods inside the object called MANA (a little girl) from the Peoples folder.
This object has two methods called Walk and WalkHelper.

Old
mmar

Default 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Hi JRY,

in Alice 2.4 can walk: aliceLiddell, boy, cleanLabWorker, coach, cowboy, eskimoGirl, girl, handsomePrince, lunchLady, madScientist, mana, scubaDiver, sister1, sister2, toySoldier, student1, sparky.

Remember that Everything has a Vehicle
Old
MrMoke

Default Remember that Everything has a Vehicle - 01-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Each character contains many subparts, and there is a hierarchy to the vehicles on which they ride.
A foot rides on the lower leg, which then rides on the upper leg, which rides on the lower body, which rides on the main character.

when you move the entire model forward, backward, up or down, all of the subparts move with it.

Try making a doTogether in which the whole character moves forward a little(0.5m), the left upper leg turns backward a little, the left lower leg turns forward a little. Don't forget to use the abrupt option for all commands.
If that works, then expand the doTogether to add the turns to make the right leg turn naturally in the opposite direction.

Make two copies of the doTogether.

In the first copy move the character twice as far ahead while reversing the position of the legs.

In the third copy, just move the legs back to original standing position, while moving forward the original amount.

Put all three pieces into a loop and adjust to make it look like you want.

Hello
Old
JimmyHurrell

Default Hello - 12-19-2014, 10:55 PM

Thanks for sharing information.

Tags
body, characters, walking