Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Problems with setting pose
Old
sarsieisme

Unhappy Problems with setting pose - 03-02-2009, 05:16 AM

Hi,
Recently i tried using the 'setting pose' tool, on an evil ninja in order to get it to punch with it's left arm, then return to a normal standing pose; but after setting the standing pose for the evil ninja, the object doesn't return to the original pose, but shifts its left arm and inverts, while the eyes bulge and pop out.

I've tried just setting the pose without altering object or the camera in any way, and testing it [when the world starts, set ninja to pose] and it still changes to a weird pose.
When i alter the object itself [e.g. move eye position, or move arm as a subpart], then undo, it doesn't return to the original, but the bulging eyes and inverted arm pose.

the only slightly better fix to this problem i found was to alter the part, undo it, then fix the weird pose. [but the arm still stays inverted and the eyes roll back a little]

I would really appreciate any help with this, or if anyone knows how to set pose a different way, thanks.

i attached an alice[a2w] file, it has the ninja with a set pose command, compared to the normal pose.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w nijaprac2.a2w (3.77 MB, 16 views)

Old
userpay

Default 03-02-2009, 12:33 PM

I'm not in a position to check the save now but isn't setting the pose better when working with a part as opposed to the whole? I'm not really sure on this though so its just a guess because I have tested a little with an arm but not with a whole character.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Userpay has the right idea. A "pose" only applies an object/subobject and everything lower in the object hierarchy. If you only save the pose for an arm and a hand, that's all that will be reset when the pose command is used.

hmm
Old
sarsieisme

Default hmm - 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM

when i try to set just an arm pose (right arm) and make it turn backward, .25 revolutions, then setpose to arm pose, it does nothing... am i using the set pose incorrectly?

i saved the pose for the whole ninja, by doing that shouldn't it save all the objects connected to the ninja? It still doesn't explain why the eyes bulge and roll back.

Last edited by sarsieisme; 03-03-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM

It sounds like it should work. Since it doesn't, if you post the code maybe someone can figure out why not.

code
Old
sarsieisme

Default code - 03-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Ok, i'm going to post the exact steps i did:
  1. selected the right arm of the [evilninja]
  2. rightclick and selected "capture pose", and saved as armpose
  3. made code:
    [evilninja.upperbody.rightarm] turn [backward][0.25 revolutions]
    [evilninja.upperbody.rightarm] set pose [evilninja.upperbody.rightarm.armpose]
then i tested it, the arm turns and then stops and appears to do nothing

I see the problem - BUT ????
Old
DrJim

Unhappy I see the problem - BUT ???? - 03-05-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsieisme View Post
then i tested it, the arm turns and then stops and appears to do nothing
I get essentially the same result using the evil Ninja - but not with the Handsome Prince. The latter seems to work as expected (see attached).

There must be something special about the Ninja's construction, but I sure don't see it. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w Poses.a2w (883.4 KB, 17 views)

Old
sarsieisme

Default 03-05-2009, 11:53 PM

hmmm i think maybe something was wrong during the making of the ninja... ill just use a different object, thanks for your help!

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM

I've run into similar problems with the magician, but never the ninja. Maybe I can help, give me a few.

So far, it looks like there is a glitch in the eyes of the ninja, as they enlarge and roll back when almost anything is done to them. I'm looking into it.

The coding of the ninja is really weird, and i did notice that the opacity is listed as true percent value instead of 100% initially. I personally thinkt hat someone who wasn't using the Alice standards for the model-making wrote the ninja.

In any case, none of the posing experiments I tried worked. Sorry.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 03-06-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Old
DrJim

Default 03-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2495iiii View Post
I personally think that someone who wasn't using the Alice standards for the model-making wrote the ninja.
I really don't think there ever were any "standards" for Alice characters. The models seem to have come from a variety of very creative people - who, unlike me , were not management types. Great for variety - which is why l really like Alice - but not so great for reliable programming.