Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Get the camera to reset to original position?
Old
n00bist

Default Get the camera to reset to original position? - 12-07-2009, 04:47 PM

This is driving me nuts. I can't find it anywhere online.

The camera zooms in on an object, but then I want it to go back to its starting point. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Old
Dameria

Default 12-07-2009, 04:52 PM

You can make another object as a placemarker. Some people use dummy objects, I don't really know what that is though. I use a square in the shape folder, and I make is so its not showing, and do "Set point of view" to camera. While your camera moves, the shape stays still. Then to get the camera back, you can just make a code that says Camera set point of view to square. Then the camera will go back to where the square is, where camera was originally.

Old
n00bist

Default 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info about the Dummy. I think I got it working now. I just don't understand why there isn't a function to reset the camera view. Oh well!

Much appreciated!

Old
Grapes525

Default 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM

The reason you cant just "Reset" the camera is because the camera does not have a fixed position to start with

Old
dubastot

Default 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM

I suggest using a dummy object because it is easier than making an object and putting it and orienting it where the camera is. All you do is got to the add objects tab and look at more options. Click on place dummy at camera.

Old
Dameria

Default 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Ya but the reason I don't really like dummies is because you can only put it at the camera, when I want it to go to other objects sometimes to set their place. I guess I could just do set dummy "point of view" to object, but I like my way because I can actually move my "dummy" object places around the world if I want to move it manually

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Tip for you Dameria, there's a button there right above the "Drop dummy at camera" button that says "Drop dummy at selected object." It does exactly what you wanted, moves to and orients to the object that is currently highlighted.

I like dummy objects, but I don't like that they can't be invisible when editing a world, you always have to look at them.

(')>

Old
Dameria

Default 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Ya, that is one of the problems that I don't like. With an actual object like a square (only 2kb or so each) you can make them fully invisible and move them around different spaces when you want to, just for program flexibility.