Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

HELP! I've Been Hijacked!
Old
David B

Exclamation HELP! I've Been Hijacked! - 06-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Hello Alice Community! Unfortunately, this time my greeting is not a joyful one! My computer has been hijacked.

For those of you who don't know what hijacking is, I will explain it to you in a moment, but for those of you that do know, feel free to skip on to the next paragraph. Hijacking is the term used for a virus that causes search results to link to search results that are off-topic. For example, if I Googled, "Sears" and the top search term was, "www.sears.com", I would click on it, and it would take me to a website other than www.sears.com.

My problem started yesterday. I turned on my computer, and it seemed to be running slower than usual. I attempted to open my anti-virus software, but it refused to load. My antivirus software is Microsoft Security Essentials. My internet loaded slower than usual too, and that was when I figured something wasn't right. After that, I used my dad's laptop to download AVG 2011 Free Edition. I installed the install file on my flash drive, and attempted to install AVG on my computer. It too, wouldn't work. By that time, I was getting tired and gave up. Today, I figured I would try to download it on my computer, and deal with the pain of slow internet. I Googled, "AVG Free 2011 Download", and found the official download link for AVG, clicked on it, and was redirected to some random website. I scanned my registry before knowing about the hijacking, and I also defragmented my hard drive (I don't think that is important, but in case it is, now you know). Any help you can give is much appreciated. The sooner I fix the problem, the better. Thank you in advance for any help you may give.

Old
jediaction

Default 06-09-2011, 05:09 PM

I had a recent problem like that. Save all your files that you want to a drive in your computer and reset the OS

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
David B

Default 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
I had a recent problem like that. Save all your files that you want to a drive in your computer and reset the OS
Which brings up a good point. I forgot to mention that I am in the process of backing my important files up on my Google Account.

Jedi, thank you for your quick reply, but I am trying to remove it with some anti-virus software before I go with your option. If I fail with the anti-virus software (I think that I will), I will go to that option, otherwise, I would like to try something else before I resort to the word, "fdisk." Does anyone have any suggestions for good anti-virus software beside Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG?

By the way, the only reason I am replying so quickly is because I am not using my computer right now. My internet is too slow on my computer to be posting on forums.

Old
jediaction

Default 06-09-2011, 05:20 PM

Good.

Old
David B

Default 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Good.
I didn't quite understand what you meant by, "Good."

Also, if it helps at all, I am using Windows Internet Explorer 8.

I am multi-tasking right now. I am posting using my dad's laptop, and installing antivirus software on my computer.

Just an update for anyone who cares, I managed to get Add/Remove Programs open to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials, and I am putting another anti-virus software on my computer right now. (It is slow, but I will deal with it.)

I have to go now, but I will give updates later on.

Update: I am scanning my computer in safe mode. At first I didn't think it would work, but apparently, it is, it has found over 100 viruses! I will give you my exact count once I am done. (Assuming it works.)

If anyone knows of a free anti-virus software, please name it, and give me the download link (if you know it). Thank you in advance.

UPDATE: I am going to re-install Microsoft Security Essentials, and once I do, I will scan my computer in safe mode. (Apparently, it works even though I wouldn't think it would.)

Last edited by x2495iiii; 06-11-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Six posts in a row

Old
jediaction

Default 06-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Wow....6 Posts in a row! New Record...

Hmm, anti virus software...The one your using is the best one I know. Try defraging your computer. But you should really really consider reinstalling Windows....Before time runs out

Old
David B

Default 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Wow....6 Posts in a row! New Record...

Hmm, anti virus software...The one your using is the best one I know. Try defraging your computer. But you should really really consider reinstalling Windows....Before time runs out
Right now as I post this, I am scanning my computer for viruses using Avira AntiVir Personal Free Edition in Safe Mode. I have already backed up all of my important files, so if the virus tries to destroy my files, I will still have a copy of them. As I said, I am running in safe mode, so I don't think the virus can do much of anything right now.

Old
Nighthawk0973

Default 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Um... those files could be corrupt. I don't know if that virus does it but they could. Try these anti-virus programs. I don't know if some of them are free or not. But I believe they all have a trial.

STOPzilla (Might be trail only. Be careful when loading it. if you don't keep your headphones off, you will be startled by the roar that 'STOPzilla' makes on startup)
Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

Again these programs is what my dad tried when my computer got Spyware. STOPzilla will delete cookies regularly and will sometimes delete files that are mistaken for crucial componenets to a program. Such as, the 'Gallery' folder in Alice. I've had mine delete something with my MMORPG engine but I was using that as an example. It's never done anything to my alice stuff

Old
beachbum111111

Default 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM

This virus protection is the best one of all : Super anti spyware free edition. It detected over 300 viruses on my computer here is the site http://www.superantispyware.com/

"Don't lead me into temptation I can find it myself"

Old
David B

Default 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk0973 View Post
Um... those files could be corrupt. I don't know if that virus does it but they could. Try these anti-virus programs. I don't know if some of them are free or not. But I believe they all have a trial.

STOPzilla (Might be trail only. Be careful when loading it. if you don't keep your headphones off, you will be startled by the roar that 'STOPzilla' makes on startup)
Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

Again these programs is what my dad tried when my computer got Spyware. STOPzilla will delete cookies regularly and will sometimes delete files that are mistaken for crucial componenets to a program. Such as, the 'Gallery' folder in Alice. I've had mine delete something with my MMORPG engine but I was using that as an example. It's never done anything to my alice stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum111111 View Post
This virus protection is the best one of all : Super anti spyware free edition. It detected over 300 viruses on my computer here is the site http://www.superantispyware.com/
I'll try beachbum's Super Anti Spyware, and if that doesn't work, I'll try one of your suggestions Nighthawk.

Last edited by David B; 06-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.