Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > Works-In-Progress

Arty-fishL scripter
Old
arty-fishL

Lightbulb Arty-fishL scripter - 11-18-2010, 06:28 PM

This is a nice little tool for those of you who wish to use jython scripting in Alice, but havent enabled it either because you dont know how, dont want to risk corrupting stuff, or cant be bothered. It also allows you to view the scripts in worlds that other people have added scripting to.

This will also be useful for all existing scripters once I get it fully finished as it is a scripting window with many formatting functions, import scripts, export scripts, shortcuts, useful codes etc.

All you need to do is download this object and import it into any world you want to script in. Then play the world its in, a confirmation message should appear in the Alice title bar. Stop the world, then you should hear a beep and a nice scripting frame will appear.
You can open the scripting window at any time by pressing CTRL+ENTER or from the Alice Tools menu, there should now be a Scripter sub-menu in it, just go to this and click Show Scripter.
If you want to disable the tool for publishing just use the Enable Scripter tickbox in the Scripter sub-menu in the Alice Tools menu.

You can delete this tool from the world and the scripting will still be there and still work fine, you can import it again and continue using it. The file is very small, so it wont really affect your world.

After its been run a scripter sub-menu will appear in the tools menu in the Alice menu bar at the top of the main Alice editor window. It has all the functions of the optional mini-menu. The mini-menu can be enabled from the Tools>Scripter menu. Now you can open the Scripter with CTRL+ENTER.

Changes in post below

ORIGINAL 19 Nov
UPDATED 21 Nov
UPDATED 25 Nov

UPDATED 30 Nov
UPDATED 4 Dec
UPDATED 6 Dec
UPDATED 25 Aug

hope that isnt too much to read, its hopefully worth it though
Attached Files
File Type: a2c Arty_fishL_Scripter.a2c (98.5 KB, 49 views)

█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░▓░░░░░░░▓░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓░░▓░░░░░░▓░░░▓░░░░█
█░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓░░░░░░▓▒▒░░▒░░▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▒░░░█
█░▓▓▓▒▓▒▒▒░▓▒▒▓▓▓▒▓▓▓░▓▓▓░░▓░░░▓▒▒▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░▓▓░░▒▓▒░▒▒▒░▓▒▒░▓▓░▓▓▒░▓▒▓▒▓▒░░░█
█░▓▒▓▒░▒░░░░▒▒▓▓▓▒░░░░▓▓▒░░░▒▒░▒▒░░▒░▒▓▓▓░░█
█░░▒░▒░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░░░░▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░█

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Last edited by arty-fishL; 08-25-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: UPDATE 0.6

Old
arty-fishL

Default 11-21-2010, 12:31 PM

BUMP! 5 views, no replies? ive got good reviews from X, but in PMs only.

I have mostly moved on from Alice, but may still respond to messages if important [¬º-°]¬

Old
shaydon

Default 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arty-fishL View Post
BUMP! 5 views, no replies? ive got good reviews from X, but in PMs only.
trying it out now! =]

Old
arty-fishL

Default 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM

Ive got a lot more done on the scripter now. Ive added the ability to re-open (unhide) it by pressing ALT and SHIFT together or by moving the mouse to the top left corner of the screen. Ive also added a mini menu which appears in a small frame at the side when the main scripter is closed. Ive made stuff easier to use and access. Ive got the fileand help menus fully functioning and the edit mostly done and some of the tools, plus ive added some other menu stuff. Also ive fixed some bugs.

Ive updated it with the latest version.

Update
Old
arty-fishL

Lightbulb Update - 11-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Updated again - finished format menu and favourites is almost working, just need to get it to repaint itself when an item is added, for now just hide and show the scripter after you've added a favourite.

Also I understand this only appeals to a very small audience who can jython script, but Im going to continue development for this anyway because I want to please that minority and because its leading up to something much better that I need this to make.

Update 0.3
Old
arty-fishL

Arrow Update 0.3 - 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Updated it again, ive got all you really need finished, just a lot of wonderfulness still to add. Mainly - ive added a right click menu (was very hard to work out the java to jython translations for this) with some quick tools and ive added almost all the options to the code menu, just got to make them work now.

Please dont think this is easy for me. Not only am I writing in jython, which some of you may find hard enough, but I have to thread, manage and sort lots of code. I also have to work out java to jython translations.

I have written 1780 lines of code in this so far!!! Thats a lot.

Kool!
Old
zonedabone

Default Kool! - 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Looking great! I'm actually trying to work on an IDE that can manipulate alice methods and python scripts, as well as modify variables. I figued out how the alice xml files work, so it shouldn't be too hard.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Visual Élancé
Old
arty-fishL

Arrow Visual Élancé - 12-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Thanks.
I hope my idea isnt too much like yours, as I said above, I am making this so that I can produce something bigger and better. I was planning on making a nice visual scripter that looks very similar to Alice, but turns its produce into jython code and has much more functions, to allow the average Alice user to make a much more advanced world that runs smoothly. It is to be made in the same format as the scripter; on an object that produces a nice java frame. It is to be called Visual Élancé (Which just equates to Visual Slender, slender because it is lite [which is somehow different to light] and will produce lite code).
I have been researching the Alice jar in Netbeans and have found many usable functions. I also now know how to use java events in jython and im working out how to use Abstract Classes, after I have achieved this hopefully I can mix all my knowledge together with the scripter and produce a nice, noob proof, finished product

Update 0.4
Old
arty-fishL

Arrow Update 0.4 - 12-04-2010, 04:09 PM

Ive updated it yet again. Now after its been initialised (world run then stop) a scripter sub-menu will appear in the tools menu in the Alice menu bar at the top of the main Alice editor window!!! It has all the functions of the mini-menu. This is not only very useful, but the ability to manipulate the main Alice frames is a mega-advancement.

Ive also made the mini-menu look much nicer, ive changed its look and feel to a smooth-bordered green frame that is always on top.

Another update, now you can open the Scripter with ALT+S, plus ive added other shortcut keys (look in the scripter sub-menu for them).

Now I need to change most of the code to fit the new features and make the whole thing easier to access. I'm going to try and slim the code down as well.

Old
zonedabone

Default 12-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Arty, you might want to consider making this an alice addon. To explain this, I must explain a project I'm thinking of.

When alice starts, it loads that alice package from the jython library. These are loaded during the splash screen. Anyway, you could spawn threads during that time that would be effective during the remainder of the alice session. I am thinking of a system that would keep records of code modules called addons, and then update these and import them.

'Apple Macintosh' - An anagram of 'Complaints Heap'

M.A.C.I.N.T.O.S.H. - Machine Always Crashes, If Not, The Operating System Hangs.

You're *such* a mac person.

Tags
jython, object, python, script, tool