Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > Questions and Comments

Please help, weird rendering problems
Old
bakedleaf

Default Please help, weird rendering problems - 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM

I opened my school alice project on one of the school laptops, it gave me some sort of rendering warning but i was going to fast and missed it. It made my world look weird but I assumed it was just the computer.

After saving it, it always looks very ugly, like this

as you can see it's really messed up, it looks like textures are overlapping.

Any help?

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM

The message probably said something like this:

It seems your graphics card may not be up to snuff. Attempting to force software rendering...

If this happens, it will change the look of the worlds. This could be a hiccup on your computer (it happens to all computers from time to time), but the message could also be accurate in that your computer may not be powerful enough to handle Alice properly. If you click the Edit>Preferences button on the top of the Alice window, you can find an option which says "Force Software Rendering (slower and safer)" or something similar. Try checking it (or if it's checked, uncheck it) then restarting Alice and see if the problem resurfaces.

(')>

Last edited by x2495iiii; 11-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Old
bakedleaf

Default 11-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Well, it worked fine on the computer lab PC's, but when I opened it on the school laptop, it forced the rendering to that. But when I saved it, and opened it again on the lab PC, it still looks messed up.

I tried forcing the rendering but there was no change.

Old
x2495iiii
Super Moderator

Default 11-23-2009, 02:00 PM

This is strange. I've had this happen to me before, where the error message popped up, I clicked okay, then everything got ugly. But now, I can't seem to make it ugly again without the error message. Unfortunately, since I can't reproduce it, you'll have to just try different rendering setting on the Alice rendering options menu until it works. You can try:

-forcing or un-forcing software rendering
-changing the render order so that a different renderer is tried by Alice first (ignore the none option)
-checking to make sure the PC has Direct X7, and if not, installing it

(')>

Old
lanceA

Default 11-23-2009, 07:34 PM

The error msg that you probably received was telling you that the computer's video card was "...not up to snuff" (I have G-R-E-A-T admiration for the programmer that included that error msg. )

Basically if you work on a high powered machine at home and then take your Alice project into school and place it on their machines you may possibly experience this problem. As a result the school's machine will show your world as being misaligned. But it can also apply if your home machine's video card is less powerful than the video card that the school has installed. I do not know of a work-around for this problem.