Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Pivot and other programs.
Old
DrJim

Arrow Pivot and other programs. - 12-09-2006, 11:51 AM

I started to find the download site for Pivot and came across the following URL which is definitely worth checking out:

http://www.freewarefiles.com/cat_3_32_Animation.html

Re Pivot - it's really a great program for working out animations of animals and people. Lots of fun as is and you can also use it as a model for setting poses for more complex models such as those in Alice. There was an active MSN group which had lots of reference animations but it seems to no longer be active - does anyone know what happened?

A couple of comments on two of the other listed programs:

anim8or - Nice 3D graphics program. I'm starting to use it more than Wings 3D. Only exports 3ds and obj files so you still need Biturn to get to Alice.

Tales Animator - very useful script-based program for full movie production - has speech, conversion to DVD format, etc. Ver2.0 is only 2D but 3.0 (now pre-alpha) will do 3D. Complements Alice nicely.

The GIF programs also look interesting - haven't tried any yet, however.

Re losing animation for a GIF file - that will happen if you save from any program that doesn't support animation or if you have the option turned off (the usual default) in one that does.

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Default 12-11-2006, 07:10 AM

Actually, how I made the picture on the first page was by saving that Pivot file as a .GIF. You can create as many GIFs as you want with this thing and use 'em wherever you like: in Alice, on a Powerpoint, using them to show to your boss and make him shake his head, thinking 'What the hell are you smoking?' It's great!

Animated GIF - why doesn't Trippster's work?
Old
DrJim

Default Animated GIF - why doesn't Trippster's work? - 12-11-2006, 09:38 AM

What I was really wondering/commenting on is why the animation didn't show up for the Trippster's file - it's at least the second time that's happened.

Also congratulations on your new signature - hope you don't get "flamed" by your subjects.

Thanks.
Old
PogoDaMonkey

Question Thanks. - 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info, looks like something worth getting into for a while.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJim View Post
anim8or - Nice 3D graphics program. I'm starting to use it more than Wings 3D. Only exports 3ds and obj files so you still need Biturn to get to Alice.
A little off topic, but I have Biturn, and am clueless on how to convert from .3ds to .a2c

Using Biturn.
Old
DrJim

Arrow Using Biturn. - 12-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Here are the basic steps for Biturn. Note that this won't get you a texture (apparently .ase import to Alice doesn't support that) and that often you get errors - in this case not too bad but the head is slightly goofed up from the original. Also, there is no hierarchy to this particular model, which is fairly typical.

1. Load your original file (.3ds in this case, .obj tends to work better, .lwo works most of the time.)
2. Preview the file (usually happens automatically).
3. Select the output format -.ase - and the path for the converted file to be stored. Then click on convert.
4. "Conversion complete" will be indicated when the conversion is complete.

The resultant file can then be imported into Alice and stored as an .a2c file. (Both the .ase and the .a2c models are in the .zip file.) There are several other posts in the forum on how to move the output into a gallery or other location.

Sometimes the model will come with a separate texture in .jpg or some similar format - that can be imported just like any other texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conversion.JPG (59.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (9.3 KB, 301 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pavilion.zip (118.4 KB, 582 views)

Sweet!
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Cool Sweet! - 12-12-2006, 07:56 AM

Don't know much about Biturn, so I won't say anything about it. Usually, if I want to create a new object, I just pull several pieces together from different models. Still haven't found out how to save different pieces from different models as a new object, though...

Quote:
What I was really wondering/commenting on is why the animation didn't show up for the Trippster's file - it's at least the second time that's happened.
I have no clue as to why his isn't working... If I remember correctly, there was a previous thread in the forums with the same problem (and from the same Tripp, too). I dunno what's wrong... I guess the forums just straight up hate him.

Quote:
Also congratulations on your new signature - hope you don't get "flamed" by your subjects.
Thanx! I'm still thinking of more to add on to it, but it'll do for now.

Old
PogoDaMonkey

Smile 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM

Thanks, DrJim.

Old
Shadow Sovereign

Cool 12-13-2006, 06:47 AM

Nice model... I think I can utilize it if I plan to make a statue in a scene sometime.

Here's a Cuotl look-alike of your pavilion...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuotl Pavilion Statue.JPG (26.9 KB, 269 views)

Last edited by Shadow Sovereign; 12-13-2006 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added Pic...

Another pic...
Old
Shadow Sovereign

Talking Another pic... - 12-13-2006, 08:56 AM

Another Pivot picture. Enjoy!

Edit: Somehow, its a .GIF, but it uploads as a JPEG? WTF?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LOL.jpg (2.2 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Shadow Sovereign; 12-13-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Hm...
Old
PogoDaMonkey

Question Hm... - 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM

It saves as a picture? Never knew that a picture could be saved as an animation...and how did you save it, to be used as a billboard?

X D