Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Getting Started with Alice
Old
Camille08246

Cool Getting Started with Alice - 08-31-2009, 10:06 AM

When I did Assignment 1, it was kind of tough and hard, but when I got help with it from my mom, it was a little easy, and I got done.

Mr. Xeriland
camille_hlms@yahoo.com

Camile
Old
kstolbert@hotmail.com

Default Camile - 09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

It can be tricky, if you play around with it and not be afraid to mess up, you can learn easier that way. It helps me to play with it so I can pick up on the theings I did wrong and how I fix them. So have fun and play around with Alice...

Old
stevejohnson1

Default 09-25-2009, 12:19 AM

Alice is really fun to work with. But you have to be alert when you are using it initially. I also felt difficulty in using Alice previously but I am much comfortable with it.

Old
AKGhost

Default 09-25-2009, 10:54 AM

I'll be starting Alice Monday . Looking forward to knowing all of you and learning Alice too!

New to Alice
Old
todd0312

Default New to Alice - 09-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Hello fellow noobs:

I finished assignment 1 for Professor Xeriland. A few bumps when I played around. At first, I set the rabbit's position leaning forward at a slight angle, so when it moved forward, it plowed into the earth. It's a "little bit" annoying that my animal just skates around, but I guess it would get pretty complicated to make it move about in a realistic manner.

Not sure how to reposition an object manually without "adding a new object." Ran into some weird issues when I tried to change the parameter "asSeenBy" during movement, but that wasn't part of the assignment. Well, it is the first assignment.

So far so good, I guess.

Todd

Play around with it
Old
Jdsoden

Default Play around with it - 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Figuring everything out with the first program is the hardest. Don't be afraid to play around and break a few things to figure out how it works. You'll have a blast with it once you get rolling.

Some issues using roll, turn and move
Old
todd0312

Default Some issues using roll, turn and move - 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Hello there:

I'm new to Alice, and as with anything new, the early stages can make you want to gouge your eyes out (well... maybe that's a bit extreme).

I had problems using roll, turn, and move in combination when positioning my character's body parts. I understand the concept of "roll" - sort of. It's like moving the body parts of a wooden art mannequin. The parts roll around their axis-joint. (Image attached in case you're going... wooden art mannequin... huh???

When I've rotated an object at an angle, I have difficulty moving or turning it in the direction I want. If I use the move right method 2 meters, for example, the result might be it moving "up" 2 meters.

Similarly, sometimes I'll use the "turn left" method, and it will move my object backwards. I don't understand how angle determines which "move" or "turn" method to choose. This will take some time.

My assignment was to have a penguin walk across a frozen pond to a circular hole in the ice and eventually... fall in. I had my penguin fall BACKWARDS into the fishing hole. One try, the penguin landed flat on it's face in the snow. another time it flew off the screen, although I finally did get it basically right. Frustrating. :

However, Mr. Penguin's ascent and descent into the icy cold water was less than graceful. Pretty awkard looking. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry - or too frustrated to think clearly, but what I got was not exactly what I had in my mind. I would often end up with slight pauses between the steps of what was supposed to be - almost - a backwards semi-circular rotation. It just looked clumsy. Lacked fluidity.

I played around a lot, so there are too many difficulties to even touch on here. My assignment was a bit more complicated than what was required, so there was a lot of guess work. There were also quite a few inaudible screams from me.

So - a lot more playing to do. And I did really enjoy it for the most part - but still - being a noob... whatever... kind of a drag.

I am very glad to have finished the assignment so I can erase that pesky penguin from my memory. Good riddance Penny. I hope what I witnessed upon this assignment's completion was your demise. On to the next thing.

Cheers,

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mannequin reading.jpg (27.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by todd0312; 09-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.