Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Deleting Items from a list mid-game
Old
MayhemGames

Default Deleting Items from a list mid-game - 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Hello all,

I am currently working on a project for class in which I am recreating the memory card game concentration, where you have to remember the locations of certain items and match them with the identical one.

The way I am doing this is having two lists, remainingSquares and remainingTextures. When spacebar is pressed for a new game, it distributes a random texture to each square. However, the problem I am having is repeats.

In my case, I am having two differently-named items that correspond, such as baseball-1 and baseball-2, that correspond and will match. baseball-1 can be distributed to ONE SQUARE ONLY, but since the squares are being given a random texture from the available textures list, I need a way to delete, permanently delete, an object from a list mid-game.

If anyone knows how to permanently delete an object(s) from a list while the program is running, it is much appreciated!

Old
bjia56

Default 04-08-2010, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure if this will entirely solve your problem, or if it will work 100%, but here it is:

You could try to have a variable and pick random integers from 0 to that variable minus one for the lists, then after each random selection do "remove item from (index) of list" and place that random number in for index.

Sorry, was that a little too confusing? If so, I might be able to make an example world.

Old
MayhemGames

Default 04-09-2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks a lot, I think I know what you're talking about. But just to make sure, could you make that sample world? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Old
jediaction

Default 04-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayhemGames View Post
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project for class in which I am recreating the memory card game concentration, where you have to remember the locations of certain items and match them with the identical one.

The way I am doing this is having two lists, remainingSquares and remainingTextures. When spacebar is pressed for a new game, it distributes a random texture to each square. However, the problem I am having is repeats.

In my case, I am having two differently-named items that correspond, such as baseball-1 and baseball-2, that correspond and will match. baseball-1 can be distributed to ONE SQUARE ONLY, but since the squares are being given a random texture from the available textures list, I need a way to delete, permanently delete, an object from a list mid-game.

If anyone knows how to permanently delete an object(s) from a list while the program is running, it is much appreciated!
From what i understand, there is no way to do that

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
bjia56

Default 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Ok, attached is the example world.

Somehow, the last element of my list is always selected last...

Let me know if there is something I should explain in the example.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w deleting element from list.a2w (2.89 MB, 20 views)

Old
bjia56

Default 04-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediaction View Post
From what i understand, there is no way to do that

Are you sure?

Old
jediaction

Default 04-09-2010, 09:27 AM

no

Old
bjia56

Default 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Ok so my example has deleting a list element while the program is running, but it does not permanently delete it, meaning that if you stop running the code and press the play button, it will still be there...

Is this what you were referring to as "cannot be done," jediaction?

Old
jediaction

Default 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM

uh im not sure. My problem was watching variables. Thats what you jsut said in your last comment?

Last edited by jediaction; 04-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.

Old
bjia56

Default 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM

No, I don't think that was what I was referring to...