Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Grouping Objects? Trying to a new charecter
Old
waffle_the_fifth

Default Grouping Objects? Trying to a new charecter - 11-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Hay I'm realitivley new to Alic and I want to create my own charecter model. I noticed that there are basic shapes I can use, but when I start making my char it becomes a pain. I would help if I could group the shapes and I can't figure out how to do that.

My assumption is that you can't and if so, can anyone recomend a free or cheap as free 3D image creator software for the Mac OSX Leopard ?

Old
deadfast

Default 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Have you tried setting the shape's Vehicles to the central shape? That might work, but animating this character may prove to be horribly difficult. You might have better luck attaching the shapes to an existing Alice character, to create the look you want.

Old
waffle_the_fifth

Default 11-29-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice but I have already tried that http://www.alice.org/community/images/smilies/frown.gif

Old
deadfast

Default 11-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Sorry I couldn't help more. Alice really should have a better model editor. At least something that lets you build the skeleton from lines, setting the articulating points, and adding the shapes around it to fill it in. A skin editor for these models, where you could draw the design right on the models, would be good too.

Old
DrJim

Default 11-30-2008, 09:43 AM

If you want to just import simple shapes in a hierarchy, you have to do it with .ase files and import them as textures. This is described in the thread
http://www.alice.org/community/showthread.php?t=570
and I have posted a few simple shapes in .ase format there also.

Since I don't work with a Mac, I can't recommend any 3D object creation program for it, unfortunately. Nor do I know of any file conversion program equivalent to Biturn for the PC. Maybe you could use a school or library PC for a brief time to create your own shapes - 4DBlue (see ref. thread) is pretty small and (for simple things) fairly straighforward - plus it will generate .ase files directly.

Added Notes: Should have done a Google search before posting. There is a Mac version of Wings 3D (http://www.wings3d.com/), which is a nice free 3D editor - though it doesn't export in .ase format. Blender also has a Mac version, but I find it difficult to use. It does have an .ase export script, though I've never used it.

Last edited by DrJim; 11-30-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added Wings 3D and Blender links

Tags
charecter, how_to, model