Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > General Discussion > The Lounge

Join the hot new group!!!
Old
ZED

Talking Join the hot new group!!! - 07-28-2008, 09:23 PM

HELP!TALK!REVIEW!PREVIEW! AKA HTRR (lol i no i messed up the whole anagram but lets ignore that )

Join the social group that is soon to blow up into famedome in the Alice community! We welcome all! Pros/Masters and Begginers/Noobs! the name is very self explainitory

memebers help members
talk about your games, websites, helpful tips or tricks for alice
review other games and tell the community what you thought of it (try and be nice)
Or so glimses of a game that your are creating at the moment and intice people to play it or help with it!

JOIN NOW!

P.S.
Sorry for all my grammar and spelling errors i do that a lot

hope to see you there!

wanting to join
Old
JayCo888

Talking wanting to join - 07-31-2008, 06:32 PM

I was just given this website for the Alice program from a friend. I downloaded it. And I love it. I'm very new at using the program. I'm self teaching myself how to do everything. So far I've made a cow dance and a lemur kick a ball around. I really want to learn everything but I don't know how. I have so many questions but don't know how or who to ask. I've been using other people's demos to help answer some questions. I also created a SUPERMAN to fly around. And his Fortress of Solitude. Yes I'm looking for a friend in this Alice Community. Your thread was very inviting.
Could you help me find a way to get more involved in understanding a little bit more about the Alice Program and the Community? Thanks.

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 07-31-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCo888 View Post
I was just given this website for the Alice program from a friend. I downloaded it. And I love it. I'm very new at using the program. I'm self teaching myself how to do everything. So far I've made a cow dance and a lemur kick a ball around. I really want to learn everything but I don't know how. I have so many questions but don't know how or who to ask. I've been using other people's demos to help answer some questions. I also created a SUPERMAN to fly around. And his Fortress of Solitude. Yes I'm looking for a friend in this Alice Community. Your thread was very inviting.
Could you help me find a way to get more involved in understanding a little bit more about the Alice Program and the Community? Thanks.
Study, study, and more study.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Re: Join the hot new group.
Old
hgs

Default Re: Join the hot new group. - 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM

JayCo888, Dick Baldwin's site is very good, and just keep trying things out, as well.

If you are able to create new models that can be put into Alice, and it is something you enjoy doing, I'd encourage you to post them to the forum, because there are posts from time to time about how difficult it is to create them. People are using this in education, some with an emphasis on stories as a way into programming. Dick writes about this being like a theatre, only you have to script the actors to the last detail. Well, theatres always need good props.

Or you might like to give away the information as to how you create objects, as that could get others over a hurdle or two, and could increase the number of contributors.

The usual techniques for locating information in the internet age apply to Alice: ask the search engines for help first, just in case you missed something obvious, but then, the forum is precisely the place to ask something. And the experience gained is then available for the next person searching. I think there are times when even the daftest question can be useful, if it shows how the Alice interface could be made clearer, for example. But generally, people like answering intelligent questions. Especially in the domain of computers: many programmers like puzzles, or interesting bugs which reveal how code works.

NEED more people in this group if we wanna make it work
Old
ZED

Cool NEED more people in this group if we wanna make it work - 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM

I no it might be slow goings before i get this group off its feet and to do so i need all u viewer to join in with the group. You have the power! We look for any kind of members but we will need some pros or semi pros to help out with questions about Alice as i am a newbie to Alice not too newbie i like to think, but i know i dont no even 1/4 of Alice so right now if we could get a pro or 2 on board that would be great!

We accept anyone! bottom line

Old
Pudding

Default 08-07-2008, 12:00 AM

I'm here looking for tutorials on how to create such models for Alice (instead of just using those defaults)..if everything works out I won't mind joining this group, but I'm total newbie =x

Alice in Economics
Old
chipreader

Cool Alice in Economics - 08-07-2008, 12:31 AM

I came across Alice quite accidentally and from a personal perspective. However, in one of the Alice promo pieces on the web an interesting stat started my thinking and I would appreciate your thoughts...

The stat had to do with the number and grades of CS1 students who have employed Alice in their learning process. The stats are quite similar for the basic economic (micro & macro) courses and so (and please pardon my ignorance of Alice) my question to the forum is... could you see that I could employ an application of Alice that could assist in teaching the fundamentals of economics?

Old
DickBaldwin

Default 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipreader View Post
I came across Alice quite accidentally and from a personal perspective. However, in one of the Alice promo pieces on the web an interesting stat started my thinking and I would appreciate your thoughts...

The stat had to do with the number and grades of CS1 students who have employed Alice in their learning process. The stats are quite similar for the basic economic (micro & macro) courses and so (and please pardon my ignorance of Alice) my question to the forum is... could you see that I could employ an application of Alice that could assist in teaching the fundamentals of economics?
Maybe and maybe not. Alice 2.0 is a strange system. Some of the most difficult things in all of programming are extremely easy using Alice 2.0. On the other hand, some simple things, such as drawing graphs, are impossible to do with Alice 2.0. So it all depends on the kinds of things that you want to do.

However, my guess is that you might do better with Scratch. While not nearly as powerful as Alice 2.0, it does have a "pen" capability that you can use to draw graphs. If you can be satisfied with 2D graphics, Scratch might be the better bet. It is also much easier to deploy.

If you want to learn something about "real" programming in the process, take a look at Greenfoot as an alternative to Scratch.

Dick Baldwin
Free Alice tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocalice.htm
Free Scratch tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm
Free Java/C#, etc. tutorials: http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

Old
ZED

Smile 08-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:

You should think about using little big planet if u got a PS3! If you watched or went to E3 and saw what Sony did for there bussiness side of the press conference, they used a game called Little Big Planet, and they and anyone else who buys it when its realsed can make a puzzle but it can also represent things like a presentation! Ala, what Sony did at E3 it was very interesting and relly got my intreged into the game even though i dont have anything related to Sony gaming. check it out on youtube or a video website its neat!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uToBarLr_U

Old
DrJim

Default 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
... could you see that I could employ an application of Alice that could assist in teaching the fundamentals of economics?
Yet another opinion. Alice is really about teaching object oriented programming (OOP). The fact that it has nice graphics is a bonus - but as Dick points out, from a general application point of view there are also some rather strange limitations.

I'm not sure that economics and OOP have much in common (except maybe incomprehensibility to the beginner ). It would seem either an economics- based game (say Sim City) might be better to get beginners interested. For graphic displays and general flexibility, Excel is hard to beat.

Finally, for general career usefullness, I would recommend a data base program. Access, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access) is a good place to start. This is actually one class of applications where - at least according to some - OOP is not a particularly good fit.

Tags
helpme, htrr, preview, review, talk