Alice Community  

Go Back   Alice Community > Alice 2 > How do I...?

Stopping an object and key press events?
Old
Eilis

Default Stopping an object and key press events? - 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM

I was assigned an exercise in which I have to make a figure skater skate in a circle and when 'S' or 'J' are pressed the skater spins or jumps. I've got the the skater skating in a smooth circle by infinitely looping her turning left and moving forward. For getting her to spin, I just set her to turn left 1 revolution when 'S' is pressed but since she's moving forward while spinning she just makes a little loop and the full circle shifts ever so slightly. A classmate suggested setting the skater's vehicle property to another object and having that object spin to move the skater then having the skater spin. It works really well and provides the smooth effect that my instructor wants but I feel kinda like it's cheating and would prefer to do it without another object. It's proving to be rather difficult. I was wondering if there was some way to use a while statement or something to loop the skating in a circle then when the 'S' key is pressed the skater stops momentarily and does the spinning animation then resumes skating. I can't seem to figure out any solutions and it's really bothering me. Apologies if this is hard to understand, I'm not that good at explaining myself.

Old
jediaction

Default 05-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Ok, I kind of lost you half way. Can you post the project and let me see it. Then rephrase what you want in one sentence?

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Eilis

Default 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Currently the ice skater when pressing 'S' does a little loopy thing to spin, I need her to when 'S' is pressed to stop, spin in one place, then resume skating, or just spin in one place while moving.
Attached Files
File Type: a2w iceskater.a2w (3.23 MB, 14 views)

Old
jediaction

Default 05-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Ok, this is what you do.

Make the skate method where the skater moves forward in a if/else statement. When you press "S", change the variable that is being controlled in the if/else statement from 0 to 1(make sure it is a number variable). Have the if/else statement running in an infinite loop. When you press "S", whatever is in the else will run also. Make the variable change from 1 to 0. Then in the same section, add the animation for the skater spinning then after the animation, make the variable change to 1 again and because of the infinite loop, the program will read "if variable is == 1, then skater move forward (however many meters it is).

Did I lose you or did you get it? Basically it is If pressed, skater stop, then if let go, skater go, and this is controlled by 1 and 0

FaceBook: www.facebook.com/SalokinGames

Old
Eilis

Default 05-03-2011, 09:34 PM

Yeah, you lost me. How to make the variable change when pressing 'S'?