Alice 2 has a proven record as a great tool for learning logical and computational thinking skills and fundamental principles of programming. While it does not support the more advanced scaffolding of Alice 3 it remains a great first experience with the Alice environment and an option for a first step into the Alice world. There is world class curricular support that has been created over more than a decade of usage. The extensive gallery also include Garfield characters thanks to a generous partnership with Paws Inc. and supports the import of user created models.
** Currently macOS High Sierra (version 10.13) is not working with Alice 2.4.3 and earlier – Please download and update to the newest release Alice Version 2.5. Contact us if you are still unable to run Alice after installing.**
Rich Gallery of Content including Garfield and FriendsTM
Simple Drag and Drop Block Based Coding Interface
Extensive Supporting Curricular Materials
2.4.3 -> 2.5 Released 3/12/2018
Mac OS High Sierra Supported – Fixed several issues to allow Alice 2 to work properly on newest OS
Java Update – transitioned to a newer version of Java and bundled necessary components to not require a separate Java download to run Alice.
JOGL Update – transitioned to a newer version of JOGL for general performance and compatibility improvements
Fixed numerous spacing, layout, and display issues throughout the interface
Fixed several procedures to behave as expected
Fixed several bugs that were causing the system to misrepresent errors
Spanish Version Improvements
Fixed several bugs caused by localization errors including the ability to use the take a picture function
Fixed a bug that was preventing people from progressing fully through Tutorial 4
Alice 2 End User License Agreement
End User License Agreement Copyright (c) 1999-2016, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in binary form, with or without modification, are permitted for non-commercial purposes or uses, provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistribution in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
2. Products derived from the software may not be called “Alice”, nor may “Alice” appear in their name, nor may any translated form of the word “Alice” appear in their name, without prior written permission of Carnegie Mellon University.
3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement without inferring collaboration with Carnegie Mellon University:
“This product includes software developed by Carnegie Mellon University”
4. The gallery of art assets and animations provided with this software includes Garfield-themed 3D models based on art assets contributed by and licensed through Paws, Inc. and may be used for non commercial and academic and/or educational use only. Redistributions of any program source or binary code may not include or utilize the Garfield-themed 3D models and/or arts assets.
DISCLAIMER: THE SOFTWARE, ART ASSETS AND ANIMATIONS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY, THE ALICE PROJECT, PAWS, INC. AND/OR THE AUTHORS AND/OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE, ART ASSETS AND/OR ANIMATIONS OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE, ART ASSETS AND/OR ANIMATIONS.
THE ART GALLERY LICENSE
The “GARFIELD” gallery of art assets consisting of graphic representations of the “GARFIELD” characters is provided by Paws, Incorporated (“Paws”), pursuant to this license. Copyright (c) Paws, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Use of the Garfield art assets, including Garfield-themed 3D models (“Garfield Assets”), is permitted solely with programs written with Alice and solely for non-commercial and academic and/or educational use only. Redistribution of the Garfield Assets is not permitted. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing:
Redistributions of any derivative software source code may not utilize the Garfield Assets.
Redistributions of any derivative software in binary form may not utilize Garfield Assets.
2. Neither the name Paws nor any of its trademarks, including the characters, may be used to endorse or promote products derived from Alice without specific prior written permission from Paws.
3. All materials referencing or using the Garfield Assets in the manner permitted by this license must contain the following acknowledgement: “This material includes art and animations based on art assets licensed by Paws, namely, graphic representations of the ‘GARFIELD’ characters.”
4. All depictions of the Garfield Assets created with programs written with Alice may be used for non-commercial and academic and/or educational purposes only.
5. All users ofthe Garfield Assets hereby assign and agree to assign to PAWS all right, title and interest in and to all depictions of the Garfield Assets created with programs written with Alice, which depictions shall be the sole and separate property of PAWS; provided that it is understood that such depictions may be used in accordance with and subject to the terms of this license. All users of the Garfield Assets agree that they will not make any claim or demand inconsistent with the foregoing.
6. All goodwill arising from the use of the Garfield Assets, including any use of the depictions of the Garfield Assets, shall inure to the exclusive benefit of Paws. Use of the Garfield Assets, including depictions of the Garfield Assets created with programs written with Alice, does not grant the user any right, title or interest in or to the Garfield Assets, including any depictions of the Garfield Assets, other than the limited right of use as specified in this license, and no user
may make any claim or demand inconsistent with Paws’ ownership of all right, title and interest in and to the Garfield Assets.
DISCLAIMER: THE GARFIELD ASSETS ARE PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON- INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE USE OF OR OTHER DEALINGS WITH THE GARFIELD ASSETS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- Desktop or laptop computer. however many netbook models are designed to work well with 2D graphics but are not up to snuff when trying to deliver 3D graphics animation. We suggest trying Alice on the netbook that will be used with Alice before purchase.
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB or more is recommended, but not required)
- VGA graphics card capable of high (32 bit) color and at least 1024×768 resolution (3D video card gives faster performance, but is not required)
- Sound card
- Two- or three-button mouse. The touchpad on a laptop may be used. Please note, however, that arranging 3D objects in a virtual world is easier with a mouse than with a touchpad.
- Windows (XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit, Windows 8 64-bit (thanks pcwiz84 for Win8 info))
NOTE: The Intel Integrated chipset that is found on many notebook, netbook, and other machines has trouble trying to run Alice. Some higher-end Vista machines have also had difficulties. Decreasing hardware acceleration or decreasing color resolution (from 32 bit to 16 bit) has sometimes been helpful. See also the note below on updating video drivers.
- macOS High Sierra (version 10.13) requires Alice version 2.5 or later
- Mac OS X 10.6 and later
- Intel processor
- Ubuntu, Red Hat
- Alice needs 250MB of free space
- Please have opengl drivers and a Java Runtime Environment.
A frequent cause of problems encountered when attempting to run Alice are out-of-date video drivers. This is recognizable when a red-screen occurs in the scene view or the run-time window when the Run button is clicked. See the following link for instructions on updating the video drivers of your machine. Updating Video Drivers
The option to display Alice in other languages can be found under the Alice Edit menu, Preferences.
For Spanish It is recommended that you download Alice with the Spanish Gallery.
We strongly suggest you update to the newest build of Alice whenever possible. The Team has spent a lot of time to fix bugs and add new content to help you have the best experience possible. Additionally we will not officially support these older versions as you may be reporting bugs that have been fixed in subsequent versions. We do test to make sure that worlds built in older versions of the software will be forward compatible so that you can open and resave worlds from these older versions in the newest version of Alice. If for some reason that doesn’t prove to be true please contact us.
Version 2.4.3 Release (June 1, 2015)