Alice 3 is the newest installment of the Alice programming language. It has all of the features that have made Alice an exciting and creative first programming experience with an added emphasis on object-oriented concepts. Alice 3 has a new rich gallery of models that includes everything you need to spark your creativity including a full Sims ™ character builder. The new gallery has been built upon a shared class joint structure allowing you to share animations between different characters of the same type. In addition it supports a number of great features to assist in a full transition to the Java programming language including viewing the generated Java code in a side by side window and even exporting your world into NetBeans to be able to extend the functionality by coding Alice worlds directly in Java.
The newest version 3.5 was released on 4/10/19. The newest build will work with worlds built on older versions of Alice but will not be backward compatible so if you need an archived build to align with a computer lab or other please view archived builds below for download links.
Rich Gallery of Content including The SimsTM
Simple Drag and Drop Block Based Coding Interface
See your Generated Code in Java Side by Side View
Code in Java using Alice NetBeans Library Plug-In
Multiple Languages Supported
Not sure which version of Alice is right for you? Learn more
220.127.116.11 -> 18.104.22.168 Released 4/10/2019
• Vehicle not reporting as error when correctly implemented
• One Shot list in scene editor now includes all possible procedures
• Fixed a striation of textures when objects are in close proximity
• sModel type now supports say and think (shapes can now talk!)
• The compare list was extended to include color and paint
• The Default number list now includes 0
• Key Events were blocking when multiple listeners used same inputs this has been resolved to insure all key events are processed
• Fixed an issue that was causing functions with nested conditionals to return a false “missing return value” that was requiring unnecessary code to resolve.
• Added set and get indexed value into procedure and function list for all array properties
• Improved bounding box for camera to enable for collision and proximity events
• Fixed an issue that was causing odd behavior when scaling and resizing box objects
• Fixed issue with square dune resource breaking worlds
• Marker buttons are now updating correctly when making a selection change
• Improved code execution to continue running in more cases
• Cleaned up several recoverable errors that resulted in angry queen and other performance issues
• Improved ability to open an Alice world from save file
• Fixed bugs on NetBeans project import and code generation.
• Fixed NetBeans bugs for incorrect order of operations and processing parentheses that affected conditionals and math
Alice 3 End User License Agreement
Copyright (c) 2006-2017, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Products derived from the software may not be called “Alice”, nor may “Alice” appear in their name, without prior written permission of Carnegie Mellon University.
4. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement: “This product includes software developed by Carnegie Mellon University”
5. The gallery of art assets and animations provided with this software is contributed by Electronic Arts Inc. and may be used for personal, non-commercial, and academic use only. Redistributions of any program source code that utilizes The Sims 2 Assets must also retain the copyright notice, list of conditions and the disclaimer contained in The Alice 3.0 Art Gallery License.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS, COPYRIGHT OWNERS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE USE OF OR OTHER DEALINGS WITH THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
THE ALICE 3 ART GALLERY LICENSE.
The Alice 3.0 gallery of The Sims 2 art assets and animations is provided by Electronic Arts Inc. pursuant to this license. Copyright (c) 2004 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use of the The Sims 2 art assets, animations, and other materials (“The Sims 2 Assets”), without modification, are permitted solely with programs written with Alice 3.0 for personal, non-commercial, and academic use only, provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of any program source code that uses The Sims 2 Assets must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions of any program in binary form that uses The Sims 2 Assets must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of the Electronic Arts Inc. nor any of its trademarks, including the trademark THE SIMS 2, may be used to endorse or promote programs or products derived from Alice 3.0 without specific prior written permission from Electronic Arts Inc.
4. All promotional materials mentioning features or use of Alice 3.0 must display the following acknowledgement: “This program/product includes art and animations developed by Electronic Arts Inc.”
THE SIMS 2 ASSETS ARE PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE USE OF OR OTHER DEALINGS WITH THE SIMS 2 ASSETS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- Desktop or laptop computer. however many netbook models are designed to work well with 2D graphics but are not up to snuff when trying to deliver 3D graphics animation. We suggest trying Alice on the netbook that will be used with Alice before purchase.
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB or more is recommended, but not required)
- VGA graphics card capable of high (32 bit) color and at least 1024×768 resolution (3D video card gives faster performance, but is not required)
- Sound card
- Two- or three-button mouse. The touchpad on a laptop may be used. Please note, however, that arranging 3D objects in a virtual world is easier with a mouse than with a touchpad.
- Windows (XP, Vista 32-bit, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit, Windows 8 64-bit (thanks pcwiz84 for Win8 info))
NOTE: The Intel Integrated chipset that is found on many notebook, netbook, and other machines has trouble trying to run Alice. Some higher-end Vista machines have also had difficulties. Decreasing hardware acceleration or decreasing color resolution (from 32 bit to 16 bit) has sometimes been helpful. See also the note below on updating video drivers.
- Mac OS X 10.6 and later
- Intel processor
- Ubuntu, Red Hat
- Alice needs 250MB of free space
- Please have opengl drivers and a Java Runtime Environment.
A frequent cause of problems encountered when attempting to run Alice are out-of-date video drivers. This is recognizable when a red-screen occurs in the scene view or the run-time window when the Run button is clicked. See the following link for instructions on updating the video drivers of your machine. Updating Video Drivers
English (Base Language)
Portuguese (Brasil) (47%)
Languages can be selected in the menu windows/preferences/locale It is recommended that you restart the application after changing the language.
The percentages represent the level of completion of the translation. In many cases the majority of the interface has been translated and the difference is due to new gallery assets being added after the localization. We are open to partnering with anyone ot help complete existing languages or add more so please reach out to us to inquire about helping us.
We strongly suggest you update to the newest build of Alice whenever possible. The Team has spent a lot of time to fix bugs and add new content to help you have the best experience possible. Additionally we will not officially support these older versions as you may be reporting bugs that have been fixed in subsequent versions. We do test to make sure that worlds built in older versions of the software will be forward compatible so that you can open and resave worlds from these older versions in the newest version of Alice. If for some reason that doesn’t prove to be true please contact us.
Version 22.214.171.124.0 Release (3/12/2018)
Version 126.96.36.199.0 Release (8/30/2017)
Version 188.8.131.52.0 Release (8/22/2016)
Version 184.108.40.206.0 Release (2/10/2015)