Alice 3 is the latest IDE (integrated development environment) for the Alice programming language. It has all of the features that have make Alice an exciting and creative first programming experience with an added emphasis on object-oriented concepts. Alice 3 has a new rich gallery of models that includes everything you need to spark your creativity including a full The Sims™ character builder. The new gallery is built upon a class joint structure allowing you to share animations between different characters of the same type. In addition, it has features to assist in a full transition to the Java programming language including viewing the generated Java code side-by-side and even exporting your world into NetBeans to be able to extend the functionality by coding Alice worlds directly in Java. Learn more about the NetBeans plugin here!
The Alice Standalone Player – This is a separate Unity player that allows you to run your creations without the full Alice 3 IDE, allow you to wrap your own standalone Alice world application, and will even power your Alice creations in VR! A compatible version of the player for this version of Alice can be found here!
Model Import – We have opened up the Alice gallery to allow you to build and import your own creations. We will continue to expand this functionality as well as roll out some customizable content. Learn more about how to use this feature here!
* Compatibility Note – Upgrading to the 3.5 release may lead to mismatched file directories. If you upgraded a 3.4 or earlier version of Alice to our 3.5 release you may have experienced unintended bugs from older versions. This has been fixed from 3.6 onwards so upgrading from pre-3.5 versions will not produce the same issues.
Rich Gallery of Content including The SimsTM
Simple Drag and Drop Block Based Coding Interface
See your Generated Code in Java Side by Side View
Code in Java using Alice NetBeans Library Plug-In
Multiple Languages Supported
Not sure which version of Alice is right for you? Learn more
184.108.40.206 -> 220.127.116.11 to be released 8/30/2022
- Apple builds have certificate
- Exported models changed to use glTF instead of COLLADA
- Complete Sims export to Alice Player support
- Shape custom image wrapping improved and made more consistent across IDE and Player
- Orthogonal camera views now focus on active object
- Improved torus sizing
- Improved collision/proximity detection and logic
- Add support to read webp images
- Updates to translations
- Drop Windows 32 bit installer
- Sims dialog improvement
- Model import rotation works on models without joints
- Audio configuration and playback
- Alpha support in imported images
- Various small fixes to prevent errors
- Undo/redo fixes
- Better emoji handling in serialization
- Java to 17
- NetBeans plugin from 8 to 12.5
- Install4j from 7 to 9
- JOGL/Gluegen from 2.3.2 to our own fork of 2.4.0 to support Mac
Alice 3 End User License Agreement
Copyright (c) 2006-2017, Carnegie Mellon University. All rights reserved.
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Products derived from the software may not be called “Alice”, nor may “Alice” appear in their name, without prior written permission of Carnegie Mellon University.
4. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must display the following acknowledgement: “This product includes software developed by Carnegie Mellon University”
5. The gallery of art assets and animations provided with this software is contributed by Electronic Arts Inc. and may be used for personal, non-commercial, and academic use only. Redistributions of any program source code that utilizes The Sims 2 Assets must also retain the copyright notice, list of conditions and the disclaimer contained in The Alice 3.0 Art Gallery License.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS, COPYRIGHT OWNERS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE USE OF OR OTHER DEALINGS WITH THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
THE ALICE 3 ART GALLERY LICENSE.
The Alice 3.0 gallery of The Sims 2 art assets and animations is provided by Electronic Arts Inc. pursuant to this license. Copyright (c) 2004 Electronic Arts Inc. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use of the The Sims 2 art assets, animations, and other materials (“The Sims 2 Assets”), without modification, are permitted solely with programs written with Alice 3.0 for personal, non-commercial, and academic use only, provided that the following conditions are met:
1. Redistributions of any program source code that uses The Sims 2 Assets must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
2. Redistributions of any program in binary form that uses The Sims 2 Assets must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of the Electronic Arts Inc. nor any of its trademarks, including the trademark THE SIMS 2, may be used to endorse or promote programs or products derived from Alice 3.0 without specific prior written permission from Electronic Arts Inc.
4. All promotional materials mentioning features or use of Alice 3.0 must display the following acknowledgement: “This program/product includes art and animations developed by Electronic Arts Inc.”
THE SIMS 2 ASSETS ARE PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING FROM OR OTHERWISE RELATING TO THE USE OF OR OTHER DEALINGS WITH THE SIMS 2 ASSETS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
- Desktop or laptop computer. Many netbook models are designed to work well with 2D graphics but are not up to snuff when trying to deliver 3D graphics animation. We suggest trying Alice on the netbook that will be used with Alice before purchase.
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB or more is recommended, but not required)
- VGA graphics card capable of high (64 bit) color and at least 1024×768 resolution (3D video card gives faster performance, but is not required)
- Sound card
- Two- or three-button mouse. The touchpad on a laptop may be used. Please note, however, that arranging 3D objects in a virtual world is easier with a mouse than with a touchpad.
- Windows (Windows XP, Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit (thanks pcwiz84 for Win8 info), Windows 10)
NOTE: The Intel Integrated chipset that is found on many notebook, netbook, and other machines has trouble trying to run Alice. Some higher-end Vista machines have also had difficulties. Decreasing hardware acceleration or decreasing color resolution (from 32 bit to 16 bit) has sometimes been helpful. See also the note below on updating video drivers.
- Mac OS X 10.6 and later
- Intel processor
- Ubuntu, Red Hat
- Alice needs 250MB of free space
- Please have opengl drivers and a Java Runtime Environment.
- Our Linux Alice release require the installation of Java. Depending on your OS and other installed applications you may or may not have Java installed. For Alice we recommend Java 17. You only need the JRE (though our test was using the full JDK).
- Install the openjdk version using the following:
sudo apt install openjdk-17-jdk openjdk-17-jre
We recommend using the .deb installer for the Pi. It will check the system and install java and the required libraries for you and it will add Alice 3 to the general launch menu under development. Follow the directions above to add Java to the Pi. Depending on Pi version follow these additional steps.
To run Alice on the Pi 3 it must be configured with Full KMS. This is needed for JOGL to work. To do this:
- sudo raspi-config
- Then select: 6 Advanced Options >> A2 GL Driver >> G3 GL (Full KMS)
For the Raspberry Pi 4 you may need to add an additional library (if you used the .deb installer we will have done this for you). If this is not working correctly you will notice it via certain models including the person builder not functioning (we are working on the best way to integrate this).
- sudo apt install libglu1-mesa
Chromebooks with a native Linux Development Environment can run Alice 3. Many schools will not allow students to access the Linux Development Environment and enable GPU Support needed to run Alice 3.
Instructions for installing Alice 3 on Chromebooks:
Enable Linux in Settings/Advanced/Developers>> Linux Development Environment.
At the root level, get updates and Install java 17:
sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get upgradesudo apt-get install openjdk-17-jdk
Download latest Alice 3 debian (.deb) file.
Launch Linux/start Terminal
Right click on deb file: Install with Linux
Install libglu1-mesa (otherwise art assets won’t initialize).
Open Terminal and type: sudo apt install libglu1-mesa
If you have difficulty loading models into the scene, you may need to enabled GPU support:
In the Chrome browser, type ‘Chrome://Flags’, enable: scheduler configuration and crostini gpu support. Restart.
If you run into rendering bugs, DISABLE the flags and restart.
A frequent cause of problems encountered when attempting to run Alice are out-of-date video drivers. This is recognizable when a red-screen occurs in the scene view or the run-time window when the Run button is clicked. See the following link for instructions on updating the video drivers of your machine. Updating Video Drivers
English (Base Language)
Portuguese (Brasil) (47%)
Languages can be selected in the menu windows/preferences/locale It is recommended that you restart the application after changing the language.
The percentages represent the level of completion of the translation. In many cases the majority of the interface has been translated and the difference is due to new gallery assets being added after the localization. We are open to partnering with anyone ot help complete existing languages or add more so please reach out to us to inquire about helping us.
We strongly suggest you update to the newest build of Alice whenever possible. The Team has spent a lot of time to fix bugs and add new content to help you have the best experience possible. Additionally we will not officially support these older versions as you may be reporting bugs that have been fixed in subsequent versions. We do test to make sure that worlds built in older versions of the software will be forward compatible so that you can open and resave worlds from these older versions in the newest version of Alice. If for some reason that doesn’t prove to be true please contact us.
Version 18.104.22.168 Windows (10/25/2021)
Version 22.214.171.124 – Mac (8/19/2021)
Version 126.96.36.199 – Linux (8/19/2021)
Version 188.8.131.52 Release (10/9/2020)
Version 184.108.40.206.0 Release (4/10/2019)
*Installer note – due to issues with this installer please be sure to do a clean install of this version. Upgrading from a previous version may cause old files to persist leading to users experiencing old bugs.
Version 220.127.116.11.0 Release (3/12/2018)
Version 18.104.22.168.0 Release (8/30/2017)
Version 22.214.171.124.0 Release (8/22/2016)
Version 126.96.36.199.0 Release (2/10/2015)
The Alice Project has made the source code for this project available on GitHub. View our Org page here:
We hope that this will enable our community to find even more ways to help support our project through active participation in the development of the project. We have not yet added specific bugs and issues to this repo but there is plenty on our active bugs and wish list. If you or someone you know is a Java expert and would like to help contribute to the project don’t hesitate to reach out to us with questions about how your efforts and abilities could be focused on our current needs.